The main game-viewing area at Addo Main Camp offers some of the best elephant viewing in South Africa and a chance to spot the Big Five. The Park has a rich variety of bird life, over 400 species across the expanded Park, while 170 species can be found in the main wildlife viewing area. Visitors may use their own vehicles to drive around the main game-viewing area and experience the thrill and pleasure of seeing many species of wild animals roaming freely in this area. Self-drive game-viewing is included in the entry fee price.
There are three accommodation areas within this area: Addo Main Camp, Camp Matyholweni and Spekboom Tented Camp. Accommodation is self-catering with fully equipped kitchens.
Guided game drives:
One of the best ways to experience the wildlife in the Addo Main Camp is on a 2-hour guided game drive in an open game drive vehicle with a professional guide. Sunrise-, day-, sunset- and night drives are on offer.
Hop-on guides provide a guiding service in the comfort of your own vehicle.
Guided horseback rides are available to those looking to get a little bit closer to the wild. Explore the Nyathi area, home to the Big 5, on horseback. At times, depending on wildlife behavior, the trail will take place in a botanical reserve on the outskirts of the wildlife area. A 2-hour morning or afternoon trail is suitable available for moderately experienced riders (max 6 people).
Bedrogfontein 4x4 trail:
Adventurous nature lovers with their own off-road vehicles can drive the 45km (approximately six hours) Bedrogfontein 4x4 trail between Kabouga and Darlington and experience breathtaking views and early 20th century history.
- Hapoor and Domkrag Guesthouses - sleep six people in two bedrooms with two bathrooms, views of waterhole with air-conditioning and television;
- Rondawels - sleep two people in one room with air-conditioning with a direct view of the floodlit waterhole, communal kitchen;
- Chalets with sleeper couch - sleeps four people in one room with air-conditioning and views of the game area;
- Semi-detached chalets - sleeps two people with air-conditioning;
- Cottages - sleep two people with ceiling fan and television;
- Forest Cabins - sleeps four people in one room with air-conditioning and a communal kitchen;
- Safari Tents - sleeps two people with views of the game area, standing fan, communal kitchen and ablutions;
- Caravan and camping ground - 30 caravan and tent sites on gravel substrate equipped with electric point, braai (barbeque) unit, table and bench. There is a communal kitchen with freezer and stove tops. Communal ablution (including universally accessible unit) is available; and
- Universally accessible units are available in chalets and cottages.
Spekboom Tented Camp is located inside the wildlife area in the Spekboom Hide, 12km from Addo Main Camp. Get up-close and personal with nature and experience the sounds of Addo after dark. There is a view of the waterhole from the hide.
Five tents each with two beds each, braai (barbeque) unit, communal ablutions and camp kitchen (gas fridge and stove tops). A utility box with cooking utensils is provided. There is no electricity, but solar-powered lighting is available.
Camp Mathyolweni is accessible through Matyholweni Gate, just 3km off the N2 highway near Colchester Village at Sundays River Mouth.
- Cottages - sleep two people with air-conditioning; and
- Family cottages - sleep three people each in one room with a twin bed and a single sleeper couch.
Narina Bushcamo is situated at the foot of the Zuurberg Mountains, providing a secluded and rustic forest getaway on the banks of a mountain stream. The bushcamp is approximately 45 minutes drive away from Addo Main camp on gravel roads and can be accessed by vehicle or by overnight horse trail. There are no elephants or other larger wildlife species in this area but the area is prolific in birdlife and smaller animals.
The bushcamp is hired out as one unit and has four tents with two single beds. There is a gas-powered camp kitchen and ablutions, but no electricity.