Open Africa
Open Africa

 Environment

Bethel Church

Description
Reviews
Enquire Now
Tell a Friend
Incorrect Details?

Bethel Church was founded in 1837 on land granted by Chief Gazela by Pastor JL Dohne of the Berlin Missionary Society, whose members were the first group of whites to settle in the area. The early years were marred by the unrest that accompanied the various frontier wars. The church was destroyed three times – and rebuilt twice by Dohne’s successor Pastor A. Kropf – before the  consecration of the present church building in 1865. Interestingly, Kropf was chief translator of the Bible into Xhosa, published in 1887-89 and he also compiled a Xhosa-English dictionary published in 1899, a copy of which was recently acquired by the Stutterheim Historical Society and is on display in the library. One of the dilapidated outbuildings is the school – where Pastor Kropf is thought to have started teaching the Xhosa people to read the Bible in their own language. No nails were used in its construction and the roof beams are lashed together with thongs.

The Bethel Mission complex consists of the church, cemetery, school, Rectory and the old Rectory and there is much involvement in community development activities.

 

You can enquire about bookings, rates, and availability by filling out the form below.

Please enter a valid email address.
Please enter a valid mobile number.
This field is required.

To share this with a friend, please fill out the form below.

Please enter a valid email address.
Please enter a valid mobile number.
Please enter a valid email address.
Please enter a valid mobile number.
This field is required.

If these details are incorrect, please fill out the form below to notify us.

Please enter a valid email address.
Please enter a valid mobile number.
This field is required.

 

Search
Send Enquiry

Contact Details

Name:
Dean Zazini

Telephone: Click here
Mobile: Click here

Address:
Station Street

Budget:
Comfortable

 

Report Incorrect Details Submit a Review Send to a Friend